Home : Beijing Attraction : Great Wall : Comments

HI.

Thinking about heading to the Mutianyu section of the wall and have a few questions please. Id rather not tackle the Badaling crowds and have been recommended Mutianyu for its scenery etc. The main thing is that I have limited mobility ( Im not bound or use a wheel chair ) but challenging / difficult treks are out of the question. Ive been recommended this area of the wall due to the restoration on it and that it is not as unkept / rough as other areas. If anyones got any advice regarding the condition of this area of the wall , difficulty etc - I would be grateful. Just also wondering if the footing is very uneven , if theres a railing etc. Any info would be great.

Thanks - Jeff

Reply3/21/2011 2:28:00 AMJEFF ,   Australia

Jeff ( Australia ) :3/23/2011 4:35:00 AM

Thanks again Beijinger - appreciated.

Jeff

Beijinger :3/22/2011 10:24:00 PM

hi Jeff,
most of the area in the attraction is in good condition. maybe some parts are deep, but if you feel tired, you don't have to cover that part. there are handrails for some difficult part.

JEFF ( Australia ) :3/22/2011 4:56:00 AM

Hi Beijinger. I appreciate your information and reply.

I understand that you said it would be ok and that the Mutianyu section is fine - but just wanted to find out a bit more ( if possible ) about the facilities there ( besides the cable car , tobaggen etc ) - is the path very steep in areas , are there handrails as Ive seen in some photos ( maybe these were at Badaling ?)- is a large section of the wall restored and in good condition - or do I have to trek alot of the area through the wild wall area etc.

Thanks again - Jeff

Beijinger :3/21/2011 10:45:00 PM

don't worry Jeff, it is ok for you to go there. alghouth this section is famous for its strategic importance, but most of the places are in good condition. plus, there is cable car there, if you are tired, you can take the cable car.

Hi

What bus to take from Mutianyu Great Wall to Longqingxia and how many travelling hours required?

How much is the bus fares?

Tq

Reply3/17/2011 11:04:00 PMchris ,   Malaysia

Laura :3/20/2011 1:45:00 AM

hi Chris,
there's no direct bus from Mutianyu to Longqingxia, plus, it is quite a long journey, takes about 6 - 7 hours if by bus. so i suggest you rent a car. or go to the Longqingxia the next day.

I am a Canadian travelling from South Korea. I am looking to take the 936 bus to Mutianyu Great Wall. How long would the entire trip take? If I get on where I'm suppose to and say Mutianyu Great Wall will it drop me off at the front? I am reading many different things here. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply1/13/2011 4:04:00 AMmatt ,   Korea, Republic Of

David :1/13/2011 8:31:00 PM

It takes about 3 hours from Dongzhimen to Mutianyu by bus no. 936. There seems to be more than one 936 buses at Dongzhimen, but only one could take you to the gate of Mutianyu directly, so confirm with the bus driver before getting on the bus.

What does it cost to go on one day on the great wall of China, where you can start in Beijjing, and then finish in a nearby city or Village or town?

Reply10/27/2010 8:45:00 PMClaire ,   Australia

Claire ( Australia ) :10/29/2010 4:45:00 AM

Thamks that helps a lot!

Michal :10/27/2010 10:18:00 PM

it usually cost about CNY 200 for one day trip to the great wall.
and the trip will start in Beijing City and also finish in the city.

Hi!
First of all thanks to everyone posting the useful information here.

I live near Gou Mao in Chaoyang district. I see the bus 936 passing by every day. But I have no idea, if it stops there. Does anybody know, if I can enter the bus at Gou Mao?

Thank you!

Reply10/27/2010 10:38:00 PMUli ,   Germany

dani :10/30/2010 10:19:00 PM

i think you need to go the Dongzhimen Bus Station to take Bus No. 936.

I am staying in the Dongcheng district and want to take the 936 bus to Mutianyu on October 13. How do I get to the Dongzhimen bus station to get the bus?

Reply10/6/2010 7:02:00 AMMichelle ,   United States

Erik ( China ) :10/12/2010 5:56:00 AM

I'm going same day you are and thinking about hiring a taxi. I hear they're between 450 and 700 RMB, and they'll wait for you.

Anne :10/7/2010 9:07:00 PM

Dongzhimen is located in Dongcheng District, you can either take a bus or a taxi there.

I will be visiting Beijing in late oct and want to visit Mutianyu greatwall . How long we need to spend there in order to see the most of it.

Reply8/26/2010 2:37:00 AMyinchun ,   Malaysia

Elva :8/28/2010 9:28:00 PM

i think you may go there in the early morning and get back in the afternoon.

It is very confusing with all the conflicting responses. A simple question: which one (936 or 916) will take you all the way to Mutianyu?

One response claimed 936 can, while others suggested 916+taxi?

On the other hand, I can't find evidence of first claim of 936 by goggling 936 stops.

Reply5/10/2010 11:57:00 PMchao ,   United States

soundsverygood ( Antarctica ) :8/14/2010 7:54:00 PM

Yes, a 936 can take you all the way to the wall BUT only some of the 936 buses go that far. There seem to be two or three buses that run as number 936 and only some go all the way. Check with the driver (just say "Mutianyu")or, if you are lucky as we were, with english-speaking Chinese waiting for the bus.

Joey :5/11/2010 9:06:00 PM

neither 916 nor 936 can take you to Mutianyu directly. you can take bus 916 from Dongzhimen Station to Huairou International Conference Center, and take a taxi to Muitanyu.

hi. how jam packed great wall in mutianyu can be during chinese holidays. im planning to go there bet oct 2-4

Reply7/12/2010 1:43:00 AM3pleapple ,   Philippines

anna :7/12/2010 8:37:00 PM

the first bus to Mutianyu is at 07:00.

3pleapple ( Philippines ) :7/12/2010 1:27:00 PM

how early can i go there? when do buses start their trip to that side of great wall?

anna :7/12/2010 6:04:00 AM

well, it is usually very crowded in the hot attractions during holidays. but may be you can go there early in the morning, then there might be less people.

Could you please tell me if I get the express bus 916 to Huairou and then get a taxi to Mutianyu how long would this journey take? I am coming to Beijjing July 22/7/2010.
Kathy.

Reply7/5/2010 11:06:00 PMkathy ,   Australia

anna :7/7/2010 8:50:00 PM

you can take Tourism Bus No. 936 from Mutianyu to the city. the last bus departs at 16:00 from Mutianyu. if you take a taxi back to Beijing , it will cost about CNY 200.

Kathy ( Australia ) :7/6/2010 9:38:00 PM

Thanks for that information. Could you tell me what time is the last bus from Huairou to Beijing? Also what are the costs for travel on the bus and also the taxi costs?

anna :7/6/2010 9:19:00 PM

about 2 hours.

another part of GW is Gufengkou, it is totally original without any renovations. almost no tourists there. you can live in farmer's house previous day to see the sunset, and enjoy the sunrise early next morning. without any admition charge.

Reply7/4/2010 5:03:00 AMvictor ,   China

we arrive beijing 9th october2010 and wish to visit great wall at mutianyu does bus no 936 as this bus runs directly to the wall run every day or only at weekends?if not what bus during week?

Reply4/19/2010 9:54:00 PMjulie long ,   Australia

David :4/20/2010 8:39:00 PM

Bus no. 936 can only take you to Yujiayuan, then you have to transfer to Bus No. 936 Branch to Mutianyu.

I am going to Beijing on May 6th till the 8th and want to visit Mu Tian Yu. I will be staying near DongCheng area. I would like to take public transport to Mu Tian Yu. I have heard differing opinions about bus 936 and 916. Some people say it can take you directly to Mu Tian Yu. Some say it can only take you to Huairou. Which is it? Will it be able to take me to Mu Tian Yu directly, around the time I am in Beijing. May 6th through 8th? Thank you!

Reply3/8/2010 1:30:00 AMjesse ,   Japan

Jesse ( Japan ) :4/5/2010 10:22:00 PM

Hey Linda, thanks for trying anyway. I'll try to look it up on the net somewhere.

Linda :4/5/2010 9:54:00 PM

I did type the Chinese characters for you , why it changes into ?? ? Maybe Chinese characters are not permitted here.

Jesse ( Japan ) :4/5/2010 9:34:00 PM

Thanks for the reply Linda. I want to know the 'Express' part of bus 916. What does that look like in Chinese so I can look for it? Or will it be written in English? In your reply it only looks like this "916??" just two question marks and no characters after the number.

Linda :4/5/2010 9:18:00 PM

In Chinese, it is “916 ??".

Jesse ( Japan ) :4/4/2010 6:44:00 AM

Thanks Mr. Wang. Does it say Express in English on the bus? Or is it in Chinese? I can't read Chinese. Do you know what it looks like in Chinese?

Mr. Wang ( China ) :3/31/2010 10:43:00 PM

I think you should take the Bus No. 916 (express).

Jesse ( Japan ) :3/31/2010 9:07:00 PM

Thanks for the response Linda and Sebastian. I also heard that there are different types of bus 916. There's the one that has many stops, one with not as many stops, and one with very few stops to Huairo. I want to take the bus with the fewest stops. Do you know how to tell which one is the bus with the fewest stops?

Sebastian ( Germany ) :3/27/2010 8:15:00 AM

It is very easy, the trip takes at least about 1.5 hrs and is it definitely worth.
Take bus 916 from inside Dongzhimen station (beside McDonalds) to Huairou.(about 1hr). At nine in the morning the buses started maybe every fifteen minutes. In Huairou bargain with the taxi drivers to get to Mutianyu, I paid 50 Yuan for the twenty minutes trip which was OK.

Linda :3/8/2010 8:21:00 PM

Neither Bus 936 nor Bus 916 will take you to Mutianyu directly. The simplest way to Mutianyu from Beijing is take Bus 916 to Huairou first and then take a taxi to Mutianyu.

Bus 936 will take you to the entrance of Mutianyu Great Wall directly. The bus terminal of 936 is only 5 minutes walks from Subway Station Dongzhimen and it is located outside the building of the main bus terminal.

Reply6/19/2009 11:09:00 AMrosa

Tim Bueckers :10/24/2009 11:26:00 PM

Does this bus run daily and how much did it cost to get there and was the bus crowded?

I have never been to Beijing. I want to go to Mutianyu on July 31. I am worried I won't make it to the bus station. Can anyone help me with how to get the bus station? How much it cost? How long will it take by bus to get there? Thank you

Reply7/21/2009 8:10:00 AMJacob Lett ,   United States

BeijingTrip.com :7/21/2009 9:32:00 PM

Thanks for inquiry.
The Bus No. 936 and 916 go to the Mutianyu and the bus station is located at Dongzhimen. The ticket price is CNY 12. The journey usually takes about three to four hours.

Thanks for supporting beijingtrip.com!

I am interested in going to Longqing Revine. Is it possible to visit Mutianyu part of the Great Wall, the Ming Tombs and the Longqing Revine all in one day by public or private transportation?

Reply4/14/2009 4:56:00 PMChaheem ,   United States

BeijingTrip.com :4/14/2009 9:24:00 PM

Hi, Chaheem
One day is far not enough for visiting these three attractions together. Commonly it requires one day for each of them. You may use the public transportation or rent a car.

Thanks for visiting beijingtrip.com!

I am currently in Beijing and want to go to Mutianyu this Friday, March 20. Could you let me know if I can book that with beijingtrip.com? Please let me know soon. I'm leaving on Saturday.

Reply3/18/2009 6:07:00 AMMarisol ,   China

BeijingTrip.com :3/19/2009 3:00:00 AM

Hi, Marisol
Welcome to travel with beijingtrip.com! Our tour department is writing to you!

Thanks for supporting beijingtrip.com!

I am currently in Beijing staying near Dong Si. I would really like a tour guide to go to Mutianyu but don't want to go anywhere else. I would like to do it this Monday 16th February. If you can do this what is the cost and how can I pick up the tour bus? If this is not possible, can you suggest the best way of going by myself from Dong Si?
Many thanks

Reply2/14/2009 7:57:00 AMTessavan Gelderen ,   United Kingdom

TravelChinaGuide would like to offer Beijing Bus Tour to meet your needs. Usually, the tour guide will pick you up from your hotel(downtown area) directly.

Reply1/23/2009 8:07:00 PMtravelchinaguide

Hi I am flying in to Beijing on the 27th of May for a week to see the Great Wall and other sites. Emptying my Bucket list. Whats it like to get around Beijing? Do many people speak English? Will I be able to be a freedom traveller or should I take a tour to see the Great Wall?

Reply1/23/2009 4:49:00 AMAnnette ,   Australia