Home : Beijing Attraction : Forbidden City : Comments

nice city like this

Reply2/7/2010 5:45:00 AMsarthak ,   India

Be very carreful about "friendly" chinese who invite you for a drink (no neccessary alcohol, could be a tea also); they were very nice , they invite me to a tea, and at the end I payed around 100$;
so, it's better to avoid any invitation fron unknown chinese people; it's not a joke!
I hope my unhappy experience could help others

Reply7/14/2009 9:13:00 AMGeorge

Jeff ( United States ) :1/17/2010 5:15:00 AM

This just happened to us today...First as we were going in there was an older man and a teenage boy that started talking to us. They seemed pretty nice and said they also were going to see the Forbidden City. They repeatedly asked us to join them for tea and when we didn't, they got frustrated. On our way out, there were 2 girls that were also pretty nice and started talking to us. They did basically the same thing - asked the same questions, walked with us for about 20 min and asked us to join them for tea outside a teahouse. We said no to them as well and kept going. I felt kind of bad because I didn't find anything suspicious and thought they were just being friendly. After walking for about 25 yards, we looked back & saw that they had left the teahouse and were walking back in the opposite direction!

Sarah ( United States ) :1/2/2010 10:43:00 PM

Sophia - What are you talking about? My boyfriend and I had this happen to us. We were walking out of the Forbidden City in December and ice cold after walking for several hours. Two MEN came up and started talking to us. I was suspicious, but they walked with us for over an hour. My boyfriend was deep in conversation with the older man who was supposedly a professor. They invited us to have tea with them (well, they invited us to have duck with them as well, but we were not hungry). It cost us about $55 US dollars each for something that I later found out should be free. (I have heard of people paying much more for this scam.) I like to think that we are savvy travelers having traveled most of Asia and Europe without being taken for a ride, but these guys were smooth. We had no intention of taking anything free from cute Chinese girls. It was just interesting to chat with some locals. I am sure there are a lot of friendly Chinese people, but there are also many who want to scam you. Don't trust anyone who seems too nice or too interested in you!!!!

Sophia ( China ) :11/14/2009 10:56:00 AM

One of my foreign friends had similar experience in Shanghai, who was invited by two pretty girls to an expensive tea house and ended up with paying hundreds of yuan. But scam is a universal problem, and Chinese people are not to blame. Most of them are very nice and generous. Chinese people can afford a cup of coffee or a dinner to treat foreign friends. If you want free coffee but only to find you are fooled by young ladies or guys, it's your own fault. If you don't try to take advantage of others, you will never be cheated like this.

I need to know facts about the forbidden city

Reply12/14/2009 3:24:00 PMLaura doixon ,   Canada

Daniel :12/14/2009 7:44:00 PM

You can get it here, actually.

very good

Reply12/8/2009 11:55:00 AMkaden ,   Algeria

My 11th grade world cultures class is doing group projects and one option is to reconstruct a building from the Forbidden City..does anyone know of a site that allows you to see all or almost all of the inside of any of the buildings? She said this site does but I havent found anything..

Reply12/7/2009 7:16:00 PMHannah ,   United States

Sara ( Bhutan ) :12/7/2009 7:37:00 PM

I think you should search the site about construction to get what you want.

um...check anything U want at website,u'll figure out

Reply3/17/2009 1:54:00 AMcute88_jie ,   China

mnm44 :11/23/2009 4:16:00 PM

oh were do i go to get on it im looking for facts on the forbidden city

why was forbidden city built?

Reply11/12/2009 9:32:00 PMDesiree ,   United States

i was there last year.but i dont know why i returned.
i wish i was there again.

Reply8/24/2009 5:21:00 AMmehrdad mobaraki novin ,   Iran (Islamic Republic Of)

wow! they have way different things then we do in hammond la the have more cooler things than we do and a lots of more things there.

Reply3/17/2009 12:30:00 PMkelsey ,   United States

so cool i wish i was there!!!!!!!

Reply3/18/2009 2:22:00 PMmariah

this is cool..

Reply3/19/2009 2:16:00 PMLucy ,   United States

It's even more spectacular up close. I've been there twice, and each time it was really cool.

Reply3/31/2009 6:13:00 PMjudie ,   United States

It will be much appreciated if there is information on the subway stop that is closest to the attraction, in addition to the bus routes.

thanks.

Reply4/11/2009 6:18:00 PMMichael ,   Canada

BeijingTrip.com :4/14/2009 2:31:00 AM

Thanks for your precious advice! We will adopt it and make our website more informative!

Thanks again for supporting beijingtrip.com!

did anyone live in the forbidden city?

Reply4/16/2009 9:00:00 PMEileen ,   United States

W_O_W
you know, the name "the forbidden city" is not actually just for the one in Beijing... in earlier times, every city that the emporer lived in was a forbidden city (im not sure that this website covers that)

Reply4/18/2009 9:45:00 PME ,   United States

Hi, eileen. there is not anyone living in the city, except the door keepers.

Reply4/19/2009 8:34:00 PMBeijingerA ,   China

what is the biggest place in the world?is it the imperial place?

Reply4/27/2009 6:39:00 AMnegin ,   Iran (Islamic Republic Of)

Do any of you know why Beijing is the capital?

Reply5/28/2009 10:34:00 AMBridget Jackson ,   United States

According to what I am studying right now in a college history course, the 3rd Ming Emperor, Yongle, moved the capital back to Beijing during his reign 1403 to 1423 C.E. in order to better administrate in the northern area of China because he did not want to entrust that duty to anyone else. The North was always a weak spot for potential invasions. During the previous Mongol rule of China, the city of Beijing was known as Cambuluc and as a result of war it had become very badly damaged. The Ming emperor Yongle wanted to restore and rebuild the city and felt it was a better strategic location for the capital.

I hope that answers your question.

Reply5/29/2009 3:58:00 PMAngelene ,   United States

i need answers please help me

Reply6/8/2009 11:30:00 PMsofia